Sunday, May 16, 2010

Happy Day!

Well I really meant to post more often than I have been - ah well sometimes life happens that way.

So last weekend was Mother's Day - it wasnt an easy day - up to the day I couldn't decide what I wanted to do - I knew that I didnt want to sit home and 'sulk' and I didnt want to go visit Dad - too painful (sorry Dad).  I also knew that I didnt want to be around my 'family' (not my hubby and kids but my brothers/sisters etc) - really not being nasty about it - but it would just be too painful.

I had told Wes a couple of weeks after mom died that i wanted to go away for Mothers Day - anywhere but not be at home.  A few weeks ago I went to a scrapbooking crop - I often meet up with my Grade 1 teacher there (Mrs. Clark - well now she's Mrs. Drury - but when she's your G1 teacher she's ALWAYS Mrs. xxxx kwim?).  She had attended the 'visitation' when mom passed away and at the crop asked how we were all doing.  Somehow we got talking about Mothers Day and she was saying what she and her daughter had done the first year after they lost her mom.  they had gone on a girls w/e and how they had found an antique shop and there were all these neat things that reminded her of her mother.  In talking with her I thought of the perfect place to go.  My mom LOVED shopping in the US - and the 'be-all/end-all' was Bangor - it was the 'ultimate'!

So I got home and told Wes my plan - Bangor or Bust!  He wanted to come too and so the girls and I and Wes headed to Bangor on Saturday night before Mothers Day.  We had a great time - some tears - lots of laughs - but I knew that it was the right place for me to be on Mothers Day.  We bought canned milk, pudding and jello - milk, eggs and turkey - Mother would have been proud.  (Mother WENT to the US for canned milk - you know it's 20-30 cents less over there - haha (you NEVER factor Gas/eating etc into the equation - it's just cheaper!)  Her 'pudding/jello' drawer always had to be overflowing - not sure why as she rarely made any of it!)  I think Wes enjoyed it for the same reasons as me.

When we got home Wes gave me scrapbook papers (he had bought himself - haha) and rubber boots (for four wheeling) - Tara gave me 'flip flops' and mentos gum - bought with her own money - the best kind ;)  and Kailie made me a card.

It was a great end to a great day :-)  I hope all mothers were as blessed as I am and that all sons and daughters had a chance to tell their mothers they love them in their own way on Mothers Day.

xo

3 comments:

Kimmartha said...

Aw, I'm so glad you had such a good day. I was thinking of you and hoping you were making happy memories. You are such a positive person and have a wonderful family that loves you as much as you love them. Enjoy your milk and pudding. I am sure your Momma is smiling at you.

xo

Anonymous said...

That's great that you did something different but something your mom loved for Mother's Day. We weren't in much of a celebrating mood either.

"The real" MarthaSue said...

i bet not Jay - i thoguht of you often that day as well :)